- ► 2011 (122)
- Cricut Ott Lite, Silly T-Shirt
- Flower Power Layout
- I'm a Hallmark Scrapbook Guest Designer!!
- Winner of Basic Grey Sugar Rush is...
- NEW Happy Easter Layout Kit
- Basic Grey Valentines and Blog Candy!!!
- Cha-Ching! Check out THIS blog candy!!
- And the Winners Are.....
- Guest Designer, Wendy Lawrence - and Blog Candy AG...
- DVD Review: Above Rubies Studio "Cricut A-Z"
- New Limited Edition Kit: "Bee Happy"
- Manly Valentine & 5 More Layouts
- Simple Scrapbook Pages
- ▼ February (13)
- ► 2009 (60)
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
8:20 AM | Posted by Monique Griffith | | Edit Post
So by now, I'm sure most of you have heard of Above Rubies Studio, and the DVD that they put out, "Cricut A-Z". Well, a couple of weeks ago I had not yet viewed this DVD, but kept hearing about it and wondered what all the fuss was about. When I went to CHA recently, I got to meet Megan Gravener, the Creative Director of Above Rubies Studio. Not only did I get to meet her, but we got to spend some time together and I have to say that she is fantastic - very sweet, down to earth, hard-working, and thoughtful. And fun to hang out with too! I asked her if she would mind if I did a review of her DVD, and not only was she kind enough to give me a copy, but she also gave me a couple of extras to give away as blog candy. Woooohooooo!!!! I love being able to give you guys some free stuff now and then!!! To enter to win, just make sure you're a follower of my blog and leave a comment on this post and let me know what you think of my review - or what you think of the DVD if you've seen it. Be sure to leave me your email address or your messageboard name so I can reach you if you win. I'll draw the two winners Monday morning, February 8th, at about 10am pacific time.
I may be the last one in on the secret, but yes, it's true - this is a great DVD!!! I've been teaching Cricut classes for over 2 years now (and a Cricut user since it first came out), and I can't even tell you how many times I've met people who are just taking their Cricut out of the box for the first time. And yet, it's always been impossible for me to have enough time in a class to actually cover everything that somebody needs to know to get the most out of their Cricut. The cool thing is that, because this DVD is soooo comprehensive, it's actually perfect for that just-out-of-the-box Cricuteer, all the way up to the advanced user. It pains me to admit this, but I even learned a few things!
"Cricut A-Z" really does cover everything. There are several different chapters to choose from, or you can just play the whole DVD and soak it all in like I did. But in the beginning, she literally goes through all of the basics like where to plug your cord in, how to turn your machine on, how to change your blade, the dials, functions, modes, creative features, you name it. And I have to say that I love the close-ups!!! The production is fantastic, and it's incredibly helpful to see a perfectly steady close-up when learning how to do such detailed processes.
One of the most frequent comments I used to receive when I taught my basic Cricut 101 classes, was that people were thrilled to finally learn how to use the booklet that comes with each cartridge. Many people had no idea that there were so many extra images on a cartridge that you can't see when just looking at the keypad overlay or even the back of the box. You've gotta make friends with that booklet, and Megan does a great job of showing how that works with close-ups and examples. That right there will make it worth the money if that's something you don't know how to do!!
Besides the basics, which an advanced user still may want to brush up on, there's plenty of meat for us die-hard Cricut addicts. She shows how to do several different "out of the box" Cricut techniques such as making your own stamps and your own Cuttlebug folders with your bug. Plus I personally really enjoyed seeing how to use "Shrinky Dink" material in the Cricut, and then what on earth to do with it next. Very cool - I'm totally going to give that a try! And once your brain is good and full, there's a fabulous Project Gallery section with tons of creative ideas by different designers, along with a "recipe card" to go along with each one so you could easily scraplift and put your new skills to the test.
So, in case you're still wondering what I really thought of this DVD... it's awesome!!!! Rave, rave reviews, 2 thumbs up, encore, flower-tossing, the whole bit. I will be recommending this to all of my clients, and consider it a must-have for every Cricut user!!!!! Now we've just gotta convince Provo Craft to include a copy with every Cricut!!
Be sure to check out the Above Rubies Studio website HERE. Or go directly to THIS page of the website to order your DVD. Btw, they will soon be coming out with a Gypsy A-Z DVD. OMG, how COOL is that????? I'll be first in line to get it!!
- Monique Griffith
- Rocklin, CA, United States
- The Monique Griffith Design Team consists of 4 Cricut Designers: Monique, Wendy Lawrence, Susan Rees and Becca Rees. We specialize in making Cricut Project Kits that you can make on your own with your Cricut, learning more about your bug in the process. You just need your Cricut Expression, the required cartridge(s), and a few basic tools. The directions come with a Cricut Cut Chart that shows you line by line exactly what you'll need to cut on your machine, with all of the settings for each cut. There are also well-organized written instructions and color photographs. We pride ourselves on our detailed designs, and on teaching others how to most effectively design with the Cricut. Currently, we have have downloadable directions on sale for only $5, and there are over 50 projects to choose from.