Cricut Top 40

My BFF - The Bling Queen!

Pink Stamper

My Pink Stamper

Support Team Monique!

Oh My Crafts


OMC Button2

Stamps Alive

Hallmark Scrapbook

Everyday Cricut

cricutholiday

Obsessed with Scrapbooking

Powered by Blogger.

Expressions Vinyl

Lezlye's Ink & Paper

Lezlye's Ink and Paper Creations

Official Cricut Blog

Cricut: The Official Blog
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
So by now you know that this is my week as Guest Designer for the Christmas with the Cricut Blog. Make sure you're checking it out HERE each day because they are giving away some awesome prizes, and I don't want you to miss your chance! Also, check out the incredible Mandy Ferg's blog HERE. Her project today is amazing!

As for my project today, I have created a vintage kelly bag style purse. I used the Tags, Bags, Boxes & More cartridge to create the purse itself. To make it as large as possible, I used a 12x24 mat along with 12x24 "Twig" colored cardstock. Recently I stocked up on this gorgeous Bazzill 12x24 cardstock, so yes, I'm going a little crazy with it. Btw, you can get this cardstock *only* through OhMyCrafts.com. Provo Craft also makes this size cardstock, but not in the softer tones and neutrals that I like.

Anyway, I cut my purse using the Fit to Page button (make sure you've hit the Mat Size button so your machine knows you have a long mat), and that wound up cutting at 11 1/2". When folded, the whole bag measures 9" tall to the top of the ribbon handle. After I cut out the Twig colored purse, I saved the negative to help me out with my next step. I wanted to use some patterned papers to cover the purse, but didn't have any that were 12x24. Plus I wanted to mix them up a bit! So using my negative cut as a guide, I cut some strips of different patterned papers (from Fancy Pants - aren't they delicious?) and put them on my long mat together. I measured them so that where the seams meet up, it's at sections I didn't need to use - such as the bottom section of the purse. Check out the pic below to see how I laid them out, and then also you can see how they line up under my template.



After I cut the patterned purse pieces, I drew a pencil line where I would normally score the bag. Then I used my paper trimmer to cut out the panels I wanted. Once I had my pieces, I then trimmed an extra 1/8" off of each side so that these patterned panels would be inset from the purse itself. I inked the patterned papers with red ink, and used green ink on the edges of the purse itself, and then attached the patterned panels.

From the Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge (pg 69), I cut the leaves at 2" in both green and brown. I did one set regular, and also cut one set flipped. I inked the green leaves and layered them off-set onto the brown leaves and attached to the purse. The adorable cardinal is from the Winter Woodland cartridge (pg 59). I cut this at 2 1/2" including the different layers, inked it and used pop-dots to attach. Then I just felt the need for some festive berries, and thought these pearls would give it an interesting touch. And to coordinate, I also added tiny pearls to the center of the green flower on the flap. This was pretty tedious, even with my neurosurgeon-like dexterity.



The perfectly coordinating cardinal tag is from the same page in Winter Woodland. Using the Tag feature, I cut the red part out at 3". I then added the shift button to cut the solid tag in blue (also at 3"), and did the same tag with the flip button on so that I could perfectly back the tag as well. I inked the pieces, added pearls and a rope cord, and added a To/From stamp to the back.

For the finishing touches, I used SU's striped ribbon for the handle and tied the ends underneath, and then added a velcro dot to the flap as a closure. This bag would be perfect for any (light-weight) small gift such as a gloves or a scarf, or even some fun crafty items.




Be sure to tune in tomorrow - same time, same channel. I'll be showing you my very detailed 2 page layout - AND - in addition, I'm also going to be introducing a BRAND NEW KIT!!!! It's a 2 page layout that uses the Winter Woodland cartridge, and it's packed with whimsical little details! Plus with the kit, you'll get my full directions with my Cricut Cut Chart like the one you got to download from yesterday's post. I'll have a very limited number of kits available, and am more than happy to ship. So check back tomorrow - I can hardly wait to show you!!!!

37 comments:

Shirley said...

OMG. I love the vintage look.
BEAUTIFUL!!

Unknown said...

It doesn't get any cuter. This is just adorable. I will be making a few of those to package scarves that are gifts this year. Cute cute cute!

Christina Thomas said...

WOW. Your projects are fantastic. I love this little purse, what a great gift bag to give to someone special.

Christina

Peg said...

Monique, love the purse, beautiful job!

Mom2Fiveplus3 said...

Your bag is amazing. Thanks for the coordinating paper cutting idea. That's ingenious.

Joy said...

Oh I get to be the 1st to comment !! This lil purse is just beautiful!!! Love the paper you selected....love the cardinal...its just great!!!

icraft2create.com said...

Great technique for getting those pieces on the bag-never would have thought of it! I really love all of the detail!

Brens Designs said...

I love this! The papers are great taht you chose. Thanks so much for sharing.

Ryansmaama said...

Beautiful bag. Love your crativity.--Ryansmaama
gkburrow@cmaaccess.com

Becky Moore said...

What a fabulous gift bag! I really appreciate you how-to and pictures. I think at my next crop I'm going to give this a try!

Marlene W said...

Love the details...ty for sharing

Unknown said...

love this bag!!! Your directions are fantastic too!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! The papers are perfect! I think I need to invest in a 12x24 mat and some papers...must check out oh my crafts! TFS!

cyimbugbitten

midnight said...

You rock!!! Love your work

Janis LU said...

This is adorable. Cannot wait to purchase some of the 12 x24 paper.

Jessica said...

Oh wow, now I really need to get some 12 x 24 mats and paper. Been putting it off, but this is adorable, So I might need to make one to hold the goodies I'm making for my newest granddaughter. (She's 16, and her brother is 14.) My son and their mom aren't married yet, but they will be. So I finally got a granddaughter! And another grandson too!
Happy Thanksgiving all!

janst said...

What a cracker, love it.... Wonder if we can get the 12x24 card here in Scotland. TFS

Cricut Critter said...

another beautiful project! Can't wait to see tomorrows layout.... I am going to have to buy the cartridge just for the kit.

TERIBERI'S CREATIONS said...

OH MY.....this is AWESOME!!!!! Love the pearl center of the flower...I have some of those buttons and never want to use them because they are so pretty LOL You did a fabulous job here!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!

Many blessings always....
Hugs, T

Anonymous said...

Your purse is sooo cute! I definitely have TBBM on my Christmas wish list! I love making boxes and and bags..probably more than scrapbooking a LO (dare I say that?) LOL! I love the colors you used, and the cardinals..adore cardinals! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Lisa Sturgill
LisaRN499@aol.com

Crooked Scrapper said...

Love, love, love the cutie bag.

Kristie Maynard said...

Just LOVE it!!!

Susan said...

HOW CUTE IS THAT!!!! I need a dozen ~ different colors ~ and I'll be all set! FABULOUS idea!!
Susan

mary said...

Great job! I will have to look at the paper. I wasn't aware that anyone else had 12x24 other than PC

Sharon said...

Wow! This is just amazing! Love all the details! Fantastic Bag!!! :)

lavendarrose29 said...

This is a really cute bag. I cannot wait to get this cartridge and start working on Christmas projects.

Beth said...

I am going to leave a message with christmas with the cricut, but I wanted to you on your blog how much I really love this purse. It is fabulous. I had no idea that omc had 12x24 paper. It's a must have. TFS once again it is great.

Anonymous said...

Your bag is cute and elegant and I plan to make several of these. Great job and beautiful details!

Monique's Proud Mama

TxLonestarAngel said...

What an adorable purse package! Love it, got to get some of that paper!

XX
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous purse and beautiful choice of colors. I have to comment on those lovely Boxers I saw on your page. We used to raise Boxers awhile ago and they and believe one of the best dogs to have around children. We never had to worry About anyone coming in cm house that was not invited or anyone trying to do any harm. Our female, Joy, used to block my baby sis from falling down 15 stairs by lying down on the edge of the stairs. She even one time pulled my is by the diaper away from the staircase. Good we had Joy because my sis could crawl faster than we could run. Boxers are in away kind of built-in babysitters. Boxers love you unconditionally. Did I say I love your project? LOL
mississchic@yahoo.com

dianne said...

Beautiful purse. I have the mat, Now I just need to get the 12x24 paper. I love the pearls also. Thanks for sharing.

Ladybug said...

Oh, Monique, your li'l purse is simply beautiful. What a wonderful gift to give to someone special! TFS! :-)

Candie said...

How Cute Is This!!

craftymargiie said...

Fantastic cery clear instructions

Donna Ross said...

Thanks so much for your detailed instructions on making this project. You are most generous with your creativity!

Live Love and Scrap said...

Those papers are sooooo yummy!!! I love the toned down colors =) This bag is perfect!!! Thank you so much for breaking down the directions the way you do!!!

Kwilt said...

This is such a fantastic project!!! You should be proud!
Huggs...Kathy

About Me

my photo
Monique Griffith
Rocklin, CA, United States
The Monique Griffith Design Team consists of 4 Cricut Designers: Monique, Wendy Lawrence, Susan Rees and Becca Rees. We specialize in making Cricut Project Kits that you can make on your own with your Cricut, learning more about your bug in the process. You just need your Cricut Expression, the required cartridge(s), and a few basic tools. The directions come with a Cricut Cut Chart that shows you line by line exactly what you'll need to cut on your machine, with all of the settings for each cut. There are also well-organized written instructions and color photographs. We pride ourselves on our detailed designs, and on teaching others how to most effectively design with the Cricut. Currently, we have have downloadable directions on sale for only $5, and there are over 50 projects to choose from.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Counter

Grab my Button!

Monique Griffith Designs

Get Email Alerts

Enter your email address:

Followers